ICAJE serves as an advisory council to this Secretariat for Education, in order to assist Fr. General with a specific quality service in the field of education. ICAJE played an important role in outlining The Characteristics of Jesuit Education and Ignatian Pedagogy: a Practical Approach. Both documents have been very central in implementing Jesuit Education in the world today.
The Commission was established originally in 1980 in order to continue the work of the Rome meeting on Secondary Education held that year. In addition to meeting every year, the group serves the following purposes:
1. To help the Secretariat coordinate the regions.
2. To communicate to the Jesuit Conference, Provincials, and especially to
Province Delegates for Secondary Education, the results of ICAJE meetings,
and to suggest ways in which the recommendations can be implemented.
3. To be in communication with one another and with the Secretariat for Education
in the Curia, so that greater information and a sense of unity and networking
can be accomplished.
4. To communicate to the Secretariat the concerns, challenges and accomplishments
of the Jesuit schools in the world.
5. To contribute to the current challenge for Jesuit Schools to become a global network
in our current context.
6. To contribute to the renewal of the Apostolate of Jesuit Education.
· Chair: Fr. José Mesa SJ - Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education
· Mr. Rafael Galaz - Assistant for Special Projects, Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education
· Ms. Catharine Steffens - Assistant for Global Initiatives, Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education
· Fr. Jonny Go, SJ - Secretary of Secondary Education JCAP (Asia Pacific) and Assistant for Mission and Identity, Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education
· Fr. Joe Arimoso SJ - President of JESAMED (JASBEAM) (Africa and Madagascar)
· Fr. William Muller SJ - Director of the JSN (US and Canada)
· Ms. Ilse Dekker - Director of JECSE (Europe)
· Fr. Sunny Jacobs SJ - Secretary of JEASA (South Asia)
· Fr. Saúl Cuautle SJ - President of FLACSI (Latin America)