ICAJE serves as an advisory council to this Secretariat for Education, in order to assist Fr. General with a specific quality service in the field of education. ICAJE played an important role in outlining The Characteristics of Jesuit Education and Ignatian Pedagogy: a Practical Approach. Both documents have been very central in implementing Jesuit Education in the world today.
The Commission was established originally in 1980 in order to continue the work of the Rome meeting on Secondary Education held that year. In addition to meeting every year, the group serves the following purposes:
1. To help the Secretariat coordinate the regions.
2. To communicate to the Jesuit Conference, Provincials, and especially to
Province Delegates for Secondary Education, the results of ICAJE meetings,
and to suggest ways in which the recommendations can be implemented.
3. To be in communication with one another and with the Secretariat for Education
in the Curia, so that greater information and a sense of unity and networking
can be accomplished.
4. To communicate to the Secretariat the concerns, challenges and accomplishments
of the Jesuit schools in the world.
5. To contribute to the current challenge for Jesuit Schools to become a global network
in our current context.
6. To contribute to the renewal of the Apostolate of Jesuit Education.
Chair: Fr. Jose A. Mesa SJ
- World Secretary for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education
· Mr. Daniel Carmody - Assistant to the World Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education
· Fr. Edward Fassett SJ - Secretary for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education US Conference
- North America
· Fr. Hugo Alexis Moreno SJ - President of FLACSI - Latin America
· Ms. Marie Therese Michel - Director of JECSE - Europe
· Fr. Joseph Arimoso SJ - African Delegate - Africa
· Fr. Christopher Gleeson SJ - Secretary for Education JECEAO - Asia Pacific
· Fr. Norbert Menezes SJ - JEA Secretary - South Asia