Location: Via del Quirinale
The novitiate is historically important, but many visitors consider the church, designed by Bernini, to be one of the most beautiful churches in all of Rome.
This novitiate of the Society was founded by St. Francis Borgia and served in that capacity from 1566 until 1773 and again from 1814 until 1872. The present church was built between 1658 and 1670.
Among those who were novices here were St. Stanislaus Kostka (1567-68), Rudolph Acquaviva (1568-69), Henry Garnet (1575-77), Peter Berno (1577), St. Robert Southwell (1578), Thomas Cottam (1579), Abraham de Georgis (1582-84), Henry Walpole (1584-85), St. Aloysius Gonzaga (1585-86), David Lewis (1645-46), Anthony Baldinucci (1681-83) and Charles Emmanuel IV, King of Sardinia (1815).
St. Peter Canisius once gave an exhortation here and St. Robert Bellarmine died here Sept. 17, 1621. One can visit here the reconstructed room of St. Stanislaus.